Saturday, May 24, 2008

Fertilization

I use the Estimative Index method to dose fertilizers. I will give a summary of what I do here. If you want more information on the EI method read about it here.

EI seems to be the newer PMDD (Poor Man's Dosing Drops). PMDD is still widely used and I have had much success with it in the past. A lot of people have had success with EI so I thought I would give it a shot.

Some people say that you do not need test kits but I like to double check the Nitrates and more importantly the phosphates prior to dosing. Personally I do not like to blindly does phosphates. Too much and you have pea soup and various other types of algae. Been there, done that.

TIP: Purchase fertilizers from a Hydroponic store and mix them in distilled water. More details on how I mix everything in another post. I get about a 9-12 months worth of fertilizer for $20. Try and beat that.

EI operates on a 7 day cycle. I dose the tank to the levels below. I may not be following the EI rules 100%, but I do what has worked for me.

Day 1
50% Water Change
5 PPM Nitrates
.5 PPM Phosphate
7.5 ml of a Trace Mix
Dry dose Potassium Sulphate (1 tsp which is about 10 PPM for my tank)

Day 2
Do nothing

Day 3
5 PPM Nitrates
Test Phosphates, Dose as needed to 1PPM
7.5 ml of a Trace Mix
Dry dose Potassium Sulphate (.5 tsp which is about 5 PPM for my tank)

Day 4
Do nothing

Day 5
Test Nitrates and Phosphates.
Dose Nitrates to 10 PPM
Phosphates, Dose as needed to 1 PPM
7.5 ml of a Trace Mix
Dry dose Potassium Sulphate (.5 tsp which is about 5 PPM for my tank)

Day 6
Do nothing

Day 7
Dose Nitrates to 10 PPM
7.5 ml of a Trace Mix
Dry dose Potassium Sulphate (.5 tsp which is about 5 PPM for my tank)

No comments: